22 April 2009

xterra 09



I got talked into doing xterra which was my first triathlon, or to be fair ‘let myself get talked into doing it’ just less then 3 weeks out from the race, so not much time to get my head around the swimming part (and I am not a swimmer – unless you count breast stroke :)). Hm, I guess that showed.
I did look really fast in my super fancy blueseventy helix wetsuit (unfortunately they don’t come with propellers so as soon as I tried to swim I did look more like the clown, but hey, someone has to be the clown right? ). I was second to last out of the water, 6min slower then the leading girl Monique Avery and look pretty much same time as the slowest in my category. This set me up really badly for the ride as I now had to try navigate my way through the field on the bike, unfortunately the bike was not very long and due to the traffic I didn’t manage to make up any time, I actually still lost some! But I made up one place.
The run was my best part of the race, I finally managed to catch up a few girls and I felt pretty comfortable and really enjoyed that part. I had the fastest run of the girls by 2min, am pretty stoked about this.
I ended up getting 3rd, less then 30sec back from 2nd. I knew I shouldn’t have fluffed around in transitions so much or maybe should have even practiced them. But it’s better to make the mistakes now and then do better next time when it counts, I reckon.


So I have got loads to work on and I am already looking forward to next year’s one.

1 comment:

F.W. Adams said...

Just came across your post. Sounds like a great effort! Congratulations and happy trails!