30 November 2009

Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge Huka XL

Saturday was another early start, I am slowly getting used to them, as it is getting easier to get up. This time it was quarter to five when the alarm went off so not quite as early as the week before. It felt a bit odd to be heading out for a mountain bike race as I hadn't done one for sooo long! It was a good feeling though; I like to mix things up a little as I might get bored otherwise. I also knew it was going to be a good race as I had done it last year and really liked the course. And the other massive plus was that I was going to be riding my awesome new bike, the carbon lt! - Rob reckons the best bike ever ;) I would have to agree :)
It was nice to see some familiar faces on the start line; the atmosphere was very social, as we were chatting away while waiting for the race gun.
It took me a little while to warm up but that was expected and so I was taking my time to get the hang of riding my bike and the different style of trails. The trails in Taupo are really quite different to the ones we have in Rotorua, they are much more tight and windy, with little kickers and not much time for rest.
I had a really fun race, enjoying the endless single trails, which was the bigger part of the 80km course - to be fair, it was mostly single trail ;). Plus it was great to see all the smiley marshals along the course, cheering us on and having a good time, I hope they did!
Time went by rather fast as I, despite having done the race the previous year, wasn’t quite sure what was coming up as they had changed a few bits and so you keep getting surprised about what’s coming up. And on top we got to see some stunning scenery; rode through beautiful old bush, along magnificently coloured streams and obviously the Waikato river.
I won my race for the 2nd year in a row, might have to go back next year ;)

Ps: my bike is so much fun I had to take it out again on Sunday, and I felt surprisingly strong, I blame the bike as it’s so much fun to whip it through the trails; so I guess it took number one on my bike chart

Sorry couldn’t find any pics yet, hope to find some soon and put them on.

No comments: